COFFEE MACHINE PRESSURE TESTING - PSSR
If your Coffee Machine is 14 months from old from the date of new supply then you will need a PSSR Coffee Machine Test. This is because you have a statutory obligation by Law to meet the stringent legal requirement of the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000. Many Local Authorities, Business Insurance Companies and Business Premises owners are requiring Pressure Testing per the Regulations. Commercial Coffee Machine owners should not wait to be told; you will be liable should the worst happen.
We can offer a fixed price for the Pressure Test plus a discounted Front End Service if carried out together. We have a skilled network of Area Representatives who can provide PSSR Coffee Machine Testing Nationwide to ensure pressure system safety compliance.
CALL 0800 023 5005 TO BOOK YOUR PSSR PRESSURE TEST
So, you may of heard of it; but what's it all about?
Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR)
The PSS Regulations have been devised by the Health and Safety Executive as a means of reducing the risk of serious injury or death resulting from the unsafe use of pressurised vessels. This includes pressurised Boilers in Coffee Machines
According to The Beverage Standards Association, "there needs to be greater clarity on Boiler Pressure Testing". They seek to challenge the HSE saying that "the PSSR 2000 is unwieldy at best, or even completely inappropriate for the coffee machine industry and seeks to open debate on the subject between the HSE and BSA". This all started some years ago when the pressure safety components in an Espresso machine in a well known Supermarket Cafe failed and caused the boiler to explode, injuring a number of people. There has only been one such event amongst and estimated 100,000 Espresso Machines in the UK over 3 years old according to the BSA. However, the HSE's PSS Regulations are in place and are a point of Law and should be considered by Business owners operating any coffee machine with a pressurised boiler.
PSSR COFFEE MACHINE TEST AND ESPRESSO/BEAN TO CUP MACHINES
Note: All Commercial Espresso machines have a pressurised boiler. With Bean to Cup machines; it will only be the high volume models that are likely to have a pressurised boiler and the Pressure Test will usually be available from the Manufacturer.
- The inspection is in regards to Health and Safety Regulations and nothing to do with the annual coffee machine service.
- The Regulations are a point of law – It's against the Law to operate a pressure vessel without compliance.
- The Regulations are in place to reduce the risk of catastrophic failure of a pressure system.
- Please be aware that any failure to this degree, is extremely rare. However, should a pressure vessel fail, there is potential danger from the energy released. Even a small Espresso/Bean to Cup machine has the potential to cause property damage, injury or even death.
- The duty holder is responsible for ensuring compliance and may be personally liable in the event of any claim for damages.
HOW THINGS CAN GO WRONG
- Espresso/Bean to Cup machine boilers work by heating water to create steam
- There are various methods of controlling this heating, to maintain a safe working pressure.
- Should those systems fail, the pressure could continue to build.
- A pressure release valve is also fitted to the vessel to discharge any excess pressure build up following failure of the control systems.
- A faulty, worn or damaged valve could mean that there is a potential for pressure to build until something gives; this could result in the catastrophic failure of the vessel.
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOUR BUSINESS
- If you are the owner of a Commercial Coffee Machine that has a boiler creating pressurised steam, and is older than 14 months from date of new supply then you will need a PSSR Coffee Machine Test. This is because you have a statutory obligation by Law to meet the stringent legal requirement of the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000
- The Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 require pressure systems to be inspected by an Authorised Engineer in accordance with a Written Scheme of Examination. This test has been designed to prevent serious injury or death from the hazard of stored energy within a pressurised boiler. Quote; The Regulations apply to owners and users of systems containing 'relevant fluids', (which include steam, gases under pressure and any fluids kept artificially under pressure and which become gases when released into the atmosphere). The term 'fluids' includes gases and liquids which are capable of exerting a vapour pressure. Coffee Machine boilers operate at 100°C and more so it comes under the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations.
- Continued use of a Commercial Coffee Machine with a pressurised steam boiler without the required testing documentation will be in contravention of the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000. In the first instance this will invalidate an Insurance claim made regarding any incident on that machine.
- To recap; Any Commercial Coffee machine that has a pressure vessel (boiler that generates a head of steam) comes under this requirement of PSSR. If your machine is 14mths or more old it will require a pressure test certification which is renewable at least every 14mths. It is a statutory examination that is designed to ensure that the pressure systems within your commercial coffee machine are "safe" to ensure you and your customers. remain "safe"
THE PSSR ESPRESSO MACHINE BOILER INSPECTION
We can conduct a fully inclusive boiler inspection. This comes supplied with the Written Scheme and report, in an easy-to-read booklet. The inspection can be completed on standard boiler espresso machines, as well as fully automatic bean-to-cup machines, multi-boiler machines or simpler water boiler units. Please note that prices may vary according to machine type.
This inspection is legally required in order to comply with the Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR).
ROUTINE ANNUAL SERVICE
We always recommend that you have a annual service on your Espresso coffee machine. This can be carried out at the same time as your PSSR Coffee Machine Pressure Test. Many of our network of Engineers will offer a discount if the pressure test and service is carried out at the same time.
CLICK FOR COFFEE MACHINE SERVICE AND REPAIR